Monday, March 17, 2008

STORIES OF ABSENTMINDEDNESS!!

Stories of absent minded ness!


I am an absent minded person. Some say it’s a sign of a genius. Some say it’s a sign that I might get Alzheimer. I know while I lie the idea of being a genius, I definitely don’t like the idea of not recognizing that fact. But anyway we are side tracking. The main point of this write up is to mention instance of my absent minded activities. Here are a few…..

The simple absent minded habit of wearing the shirt inside out and walking around are one for which I have a claim on. Similarly forgetting to zip up after taking pee is another. But these are common ones that could happen to many. But I have more.

Everybody stops while moving on the way to buy something, or pay for something while on a hurry. I am always fixated on the hurry part that there are times where I moved on failing to pay for the services rendered to me. Of course this can end up in dangerous repercussion if I always didn’t have this lost look on my face. It practically is my best help. Like for example I was so lost in my thoughts one day while walking along bandstand that initially I forgot to pay for a corn cob I bought. When I paid for it I forgot to take the corn cob as I was leaving. Yes I am very proud of that one.

I have brought up with good manners. I been thought after eating food, I should clear the table and wash the plates. I realized these good manners have been too much ingrained in my genes. I end up following this habit even in restaurants and canteens too. I would be having a good meal, lost in my thoughts, and when I finish, I stand up , take my plate and take it along with me to the wash room for cleaning. It is only when people stare at me that I realize what I done. Again my embarrassed and sheepish smile sort saves me some grace. But there are times when I would also have to scuttle out of the restaurant.

Well today a recent case of absentmindedness occurred. I was standing in the line in the canteen and I was musing on absurdity of the sign ‘don’t miss use the napkin’. It was then I realized that I reached the position for the dish I wanted to eat without actually taking a tray from beginning of the line. Suffice to say I put on a brave face, walked to the beginning of the line and took the tray. Stupid sign!!

An incident that occurred in college that I still remember is my close touch at failing a paper. It was the exam of heat transfer. I had written the apper well and after the stipulated time for the paper, I collected my things and walked back to my dorm room. Fast forward 2 hours later when I opened my bag to take something out, I found that among the stuff I collected from the desk in the examination hall, I had also bagged my own exam answer sheet. I scooted from ther immediately with the paper in my hand to my professor. I begged him and luckily for my face, he accepted the paper and decided not to punish. May he not burn in hell unlike many others wish him to. Yup he wasn’t that popular but he is forever in my good books.

What I mention now is the worst instance of my absentmindedness. I was traveling in the local Mumbai trains to work. During the 40 min ride, I had decided to pass time by sending flirtatious SMS to a girl I was courting. As my involvement was absolute in this activity, I failed to notice that my stop has arrived. I rushed out and was walking towards the cabs when I realized something was odd. A weight seems to be less on my shoulders. It was suddenly with a painful jerking thought I recognized that I had forgotten to take my laptop that I kept on the rack. Yes I had lost the laptop that my company had issued me. To compound to the loss, I had kept my parents flight tickets too in that laptop bag. Well suffice to say I have been til now saving up money to pay for that laptop.


So I am sure the very seriousness of my absent mindedness is driven in all. I am sure my friends after reading this would be gracious enough to bring forth many instance of my absentmindedness that I forgotten in my typical nature. So I say to them, bring it forth!!!

5 comments:

Matt said...

Dude, your tales of 'absentmindedness' are humorous! My roomies had a great laugh too when i read it out to them! Be sure to keep this post updated! :p
Now, a piece of advice - be more responsible .. while you use a part of your brain to get lost in your thoughts, use a little of the same (at the same time) to be aware of what's going on around you!

Unknown said...

wow! u sure r absentminded...if it wudn't be for ur face*..boy wud u be in trouble! =)

I found gettin d examination paper episode to be d best...not tht i wish tht to happen again!

gud luck! (i think u need tis badly!)

Asmita said...

haha missing stops is quite common da, many ppl do :)

Vinit said...

hey ... those are some real interesting stories :)

ramer...thoughts on an overdrive!! said...

why thank you!!